Natural Insomnia Cures
Are you looking for elusive natural insomnia cures?
The effects of sleep deprivation are not positive at all and the insomnia tips and natural sleep remedies discussed here should help you put an end to insomnia.
Finally, you can get the sleep you deserve!
What is Insomnia?
Insomnia can be described as a disruption in your natural pattern of sleep. You end up with not an adequate quantity and/or quality of sleep, which affects your life.
There are many causes of insomnia: high stress levels, medication, physical problems, changes in your environment or even changes in your schedule.
If your insomnia only lasts a couple of nights, there is probably no worries to be had. It only proves that you're a human being with a life that gets stressful every now and then.
If, however, your insomnia lasts a month or even longer, then you should seek treatment.
Types of Insomnia
Insomnia can fall into one of these two categories:
- Acute Insomnia. This type of insomnia happens without a particular underlying cause.
- Chronic Insomnia. The cause of this type of insomnia is known to be caused by a specific condition such as:
How to Beat Insomnia With Natural Cures
There are many ways to reduce the likelihood of insomnia, and most of them are covered somewhere on this Relaxation at Home website.
The most useful tip for getting rid of insomnia is to be prepared for a good night sleep by relaxing your body and mind. There are many activities that you can do before bedtime that will help:
- Take a bath whether it's your regular bath, an
aromatherapy bath or salt bath. You can soak in a nice Epsom salt bath and let your muscles ease up with the warm water filled with minerals.
- Read a book. If you don't know which book to read, check my suggestions for relaxation book of the month.
- Close your eyes and use visual imagery to pretend you are walking in the woods or on the beach, whatever image brings peace to your mind.
- While lying down, tense your muscles and release the tension, one muscle at a time.
- Maintain a room temperature slightly cooler than you think you need.
- Make sure your mattress is comfortable. If not, the investment is well worth it and your back will be thankful. Learn how to choose a mattress here.
- Limit the usage of your bedroom to sleeping or spending time with your partner. If you also use your bedroom as an office, your mind can have trouble forgetting about work when you go to bed.
- Practice breathing exercises before going to bed.
- Drink herbal tea.
- Burn some relaxation essential oils.
- If you are worried about something and your thoughts won't let you fall asleep, leave a journal by your bed and write down these worrying thoughts or your "to-do list". By doing so, your brain can relax, knowing that you won't forget about these issues as they have been written down but you can forget about them for now.
- Practice regular meditation.
- Listen to peaceful relaxation music before going to bed.
Tips to Cure Insomnia With Natural Cures
Here are some things to avoid before going to bed:
- Caffeine for at least 4 or 5 hours before bedtime.
- Exercising for at least 3 hours before bedtime, unless you focus on stretching exercises only, such as some forms of yoga or taichi.
- Alcohol. Although it may seem that a little alcohol may help you fall asleep, you will not enjoy an undisturbed night.
- Large meal 3 hours before bedtime. If you are hungry, stick to light snacks.
- Watching television before bed, especially the news or violent programs.
- Excessive noise.
- Too much light.
Herbal Remedies for Insomnia - Natural Cures
These natural remedies for insomnia are widely available and should help you fall and stay asleep.
- Melatonin could also help you.
Make sure to read the fine print and to check possible reaction with other herbal supplements or medication that you are currently taking. Sometimes, insomnia natural cures can cause side effects. Please remember that several types of sleep aids have been known to cause addiction or dependence.
Some of these natural treatments for insomnia may work better on different types of people. You may have to experiment with a few to discover which of these insomnia natural cures works best for you.